CREDIT: This story was first seen in The Independent
Parents were asked to collect their children ‘as soon as possible’ after the threat was sent, The Independent reports.
More than 400 schools and colleges across the UK have been sent hoax bomb threats, forcing some students to be evacuated.
An email threatening to detonate a bomb on grounds if they refused to hand over cash was sent to schools and colleges across the country.
Some students have been evacuated from school and college buildings as a precaution after the threatening email was received.
Police officers believe that the emails – which they say pose “no viable threat” – originated from the United States.
In London, parents of pupils at Cardinal Road School in Feltham were asked to collect their children “as soon as possible” from a neighbouring school following the incident.
And students were temporarily evacuated from Kantor King Solomon High School in Ilford, in east London during the “national threat”.
But London was not the only place in the country where evacuations took place. All classes were cancelled at Walsall College, in the West Midlands, after students were evacuated.
One student from Bristol Free School told The Independent that the school had been on “lockdown” and he claimed that police officers had been searching their bags.
“We are confused, a bit scared and we don’t know what is going on,” he said.
In a statement, the Humberside Police said: “We would like to reassure parents after a number of schools across East Yorkshire and Northern Lincolnshire received fake bomb threats this morning.
“Nationally, more than 400 schools and colleges have received emails claiming a device has been planted and demanding cash.
“Locally, 19 schools have been in touch to say they have been sent the email.”
The Metropolitan Police confirmed they were “fielding multiple calls” this morning from all over London in relation to the situation.
A spokeswoman said: “Police are investigating reports of communications made to a number of schools across London on Monday, March 19.
“There have been no arrests. “Enquiries are ongoing.”
A Northumbria Police statement said: “We have received reports from a large number of schools in our region that they have received threatening emails.
“The emails inform the school that a bomb has been placed on the grounds and will be detonated if they don’t hand over cash.
“Detectives have looked into the emails – which appear to originate from the US – and can confirm that there is no viable threat.
“Schools have been visited by police to reassure them that the incident is being treated as a hoax and address any concerns.
“We take all incidents of this nature extremely seriously and an investigation into the emails in question are underway.”