CREDIT: This story was first seen in the Burton Mail
A Woodville junior and infants school which closed for a deep clean after at least 50 children and staff were taken ill with a diarrhoea and sickness bug opened as usual after a weekend closure.
The Burton Mail reports that Woodville Schools Federation, in High Street, closed on Friday, October 13, to allow for the deep clean to take place to try to reduce the risk of the sickness bug spreading.
However, it is open day as usual but parents of any pupils who are unwell or are showing signs of a bug are being asked to keep them at home.
A statement on the school’s website says: “Children should come to school on Monday morning at the usual time. If your child is showing signs of being unwell please continue to keep them at home. We thank you for your continued support.”
Derbyshire County Council advised the school to close for the day to allow the deep clean to take place.
On Monday, October 16, Jayne Smart, Woodville Schools Federation executive headteacher, said: “We are pleased to say it is business as usual for the infant and junior schools today.
“Closing the school is never a decision we want to take, but it was necessary to do this to carry out the deep clean on Friday. Our parents and community have been very supportive of this action, acknowledging it has helped to avert the sickness spreading further within the school.
“We have kept parents up-to-date with information and our advice over the weekend was that children feeling unwell should be kept at home on Monday. As a result, 23 pupils have been kept at home today as a precaution.
“We would like to thank parents for their support and understanding.”
A spokesman from the council told our sister title, the Derby Telegraph that 50 children and staff were affected by the bug on Thursday, October 12 and further symptoms were reported on the Friday. The school has a total of 330 pupils in its infants and junior sections.
The council spokesman said the deep clean involved disinfecting key priority areas in the school, such as toilets, the dining area, surfaces, door handles, classroom tables and toys and other resources used by the children.
Gastroenteritis is a very common condition that causes diarrhoea and vomiting. It is usually caused by a bacterial or viral tummy bug, says the NHS Choices website.
It can affect people of all ages, but is particularly common in young children. Most cases among children are caused by a virus called rotavirus. Cases in adults are usually caused by norovirus or the “winter vomiting bug” or bacterial food poisoning.
Gastroenteritis can be very unpleasant, but it usually clears up by itself within a week. You can normally look after yourself or your child at home until you’re feeling better.
The NHS advice is to try to avoid going to your GP, as gastroenteritis can spread to others very easily. Call NHS 111 or your GP if you’re concerned or need any advice.